Friday, January 30, 2009

FIRST TRY AT RYE



I was blessed to get a grain mill for christmas. So I have been doing some experimenting. I went to a little cooking class about my new mill and found out there was a lot of grains I had not heard of. I had ground wheat a bit, and then pop corn for the first time about a week ago. I made homemade cornbread. It turned out okay and I am going to try it again, because I love corn bread. So at the class I was thinking that I really needed to try adding some new grains into my cooking. So here is my first loaf of Rye bread. I got the recipe from tammysrecipes.com. I really like her site. It was a little on the dry side. Plus I use 1/2 rye flour and 1/2 wheat flour and I think next time I would like to add more rye then wheat. I do like rye bread and this was not as rye tasting as I would have liked.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

katie~
your bread looks amazing!! you have got to tell me more about the grain mill you have. And if you have any great recipes or easy one I'd love if you'd share them with me :) I'm trying to get into this whole making me own stuff, cuz I'm alittle werid about food storage and the cost of everything going through the roof, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can now so that when the time comes that I have to make my own I know what i'm doing. BLAH BLAH BLAH I'll shut up now anywho Great Bread!!!